It was built in 1564-1572 by behram Pasha, governor of Diyarbakir at the time. The name of the mosque is mentioned in Tuhfetül Mi’marin, where the works of Mimar Sinan were compiled. The mosque, one of the most beautiful works of Mimar Sinan, is a structure with eight supports, a single dome and a square plan, and with its interior and exterior decorations, it holds a place in the stonework-rich buildings of Diyarbakir.
Diyarbakir mosques are the only examples that have both a final congregation and a second revaka. The pulley of the large-scale dome was supported by buttresss and thus the dome was emphasized.
The mosque’s crown gate is animated by mucarnas, with its ornaments used in the columns in the fountain and the last congregation, with wooden door wings made in kündekari technique, and Mustafa Halim Ozyazi, a disciple of Hatat Hamit Aytaç of Diyarbakir. it is admirable for those who come with calligraphy samples written by. Inside, the walls are characteristic from the bottom to a certain height. It is decorated with Iznik tiles in the 19th century. The pencil work in the dome ornaments were transplanted with care. Researchers and local and foreign tourists who come to the city have been the center of attention every semester.